Monday 2 May 2011

Tron and JT Nimoy

Josh Nimoy created the visuals for the movie Tron Legacy, which has stunning visual graphics which almost steal the entire focus of the film.



Nimoy uses C++ and basically similar stuff to what I was looking at when I briefly explored processing. Essentially, everything he does is a complete mystery to me, so I won't try to summarise it any more than that. In his own words...

"I made software art before there was Flash or Processing. Things have not grown easier or harder, they are simply different. I am not just a user of Adobe and 3D programs. I work in the source ideas from which those programs originate. If I need a new algorithm, I learn it from theories, ask one of my peers, hunt for reusable code, or invent my own way. My most contagious meme is BallDroppings. My most visible work is commercial. My artiest works have shown in serious galleries and museums." http://jtnimoy.net/about.php


His work is exciting for me because it further shows that anything can be made with the right computer knowledge. It just so happens that his visuals for Tron Legacy are aesthetically similar to the sort of things I would like to make, but they were what drew me to his work initially.






I found JT Nimoy from a tweet by Golan Levin - and here is the original blog post.


(He includes the code for these 'shimmering stars' in openframeworks, I am working on understanding what that even means)

No comments:

Post a Comment