Sunday 8 May 2011

QR codes and vincentinorbit

I follow an artist on twitter called vincentinorbit. I was checking out his blog and found he had been making art using QR codes. A QR code is  like a barcode designed to be scanned by a mobile phone with a camera, and usually contains a URL that takes the phone to a website. 
I thought QR codes were basically self promotion meeting ultimate geekery and made one for this page straight away which I may make into stickers or put around college.

My blog's QR code

vincentinorbit has a project where he invites people to use a blank QR code to draw their own pattern and fill in the squares. I saw a few people had done it but my favourite was one done by a child that didn't really look like a QR code at all.  Over the past few years I have become more familiar with making art on photoshop than by hand, so I did what seemed natural to me and pasted in some parts of my current work. It ended up being a very loose interpretation but I enjoyed breaking the rules!



(and naturally, the post has its own QR code)




I would like to make some 2D work of my sketches and ideas over the past few months for my assessment so this could be a good way to get myself back into some drawing.
For anyone who isn't here to assess my work, vincentinorbit's website has some lovely drawings and ongoing projects that I recommend you check out! http://vincentinorbit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment