Wednesday 11 May 2011


I made a mockup box to experiment with creating organic shapes to hang LEDs on by wrapping fishing wire across it. The shapes that I made by doing this were ideal and similar to the universe simulation, however when I tested it in the dark with LEDs the light reflected off the strings and didn't create the effect I wanted at all.. 
My plan at the moment is to build it slightly bigger with thinner wood, and to use thin black string to hang LEDs on.
I am using the animation room at college to present my work which is good because it is a completely dark space. The only problem is that I would prefer to do this on a much bigger scale, in keeping with my views on immersive and experiential art. I also think that working on a bigger scale would communicate my original ideas behind the work better.

3D Graphs - house of 3D
http://www.houseof3d.com/index.html


This allows you to map different mathematical equations and see how they look on the 3D graph. 


This is the graph for y=-1/(x^2 + z^2)



For my data to match the simulation that I looked at before I would have to use something like the The Friedmann equation about the expansion of the universe but these equations are super complicated and need very powerful computers just to run the data.

So basically it doesn't matter what data I use, because it will still communicate the same idea. As long as it is something space related that still holds onto the whole 'carl sagan' concept, it will be saying the same thing.


Scatter graphs




I need to find some data about space which I can plot across my cube that bunches in the middle, or scatters almost randomly. I dont want it to actually look like one of these graphs, I would rather it showed loads of data that had no correlation in order to mimic the original simulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment