Wednesday 2 March 2011

I've been doing lots of reading about Erwin Redl, Anthony McCall and David Spriggs, with a list of artists still to come.
I'm learning lots, but I don't want to just paste it all out here. I think a lot of what their work about can only be realised once it is put together - McCall talks about how the 'drama' of his projection is the most interesting part, and you can't possibly plan something like that.
I am visiting Anthony McCalls new exhibition at Ambika P3 this week, and I went to Susan Hiller's exhibition at Tate Britain on Thursday.
I enjoyed parts of her exhibition, the really outstanding part for me was her installation inspired by UFOs, which was a room filled with hanging speakers, each playing a recording of someone talking about a UFO experience. I think it really struck a chord with me because a lot of my installation ideas involve hanging objects that you can move through. It was easy to become immersed in it, the scattering of sound was just right, and it was beautiful too.
The only thing that disappointed me was that the recordings were obviously people reading out rather than just talking. It made it seem a bit staged.
The other pieces that stuck in my mind were the one with the projected circles, really lovely - I think people thought I was weird because I was mostly interested in the projectors than the projection - although I didn't see the point in the sound aspect at all.
The punch and judy piece was amazing, horrible but impressive, you really feel like you're being taunted as you turn your head from side to side to catch the footage being played, and you are totally surrounded by the film.
I also liked the dream diaries, the pregnancy photos and the hero placards.
If my summary seems a little shallow, I'm sorry, but I'm trying to stay true to my own interests as I'm still unsure what they actually are.. Not a lot of the stuff that I saw really excited me, and I'm feeling a little frustrated with the art world at the moment as sometimes I honestly feel like I could just buy some pot plants, some glasses of water and a bicycle wheel and do just as well as all the rest of these artists. With the right waffle behind it of course.

I have booked a room for the 5 Day Projects at college and have ordered 500 LEDs and batteries that will be arriving in Morden over the next few days!

I've realised that I should probably link the project that along with Erwin Redl first got me thinking about using LEDs, which was set up by people at college..

bright night bike ride from Max Dovey on Vimeo.



Next on my shopping list is chicken wire, and I need to book the blackout material, work out how to make a tunnel, and do *lots* of measuring.
Aside from this I have been playing with some 2D work, more commercial little pieces that can go in square frames. (Did I just say commercial? Heaven forbid)

I need to come up with what I will be writing about for my essay (no, I haven't started yet) but I do know that all the research I'm doing will definitely help..

Also, this:


And I have applied for an internship at MRC, *here*. they said that applying as an art student I have "exposed a flaw in our application process," and that they "will talk to the MRC about including applications from other subject areas in future." So I'm sending them my CV in case they have anything else for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment