Sunday 7 November 2010

I ordered 30 polystyrene balls from the 4D model shop..



I bought them thinking they would be completely smooth like in the photograph but annoyingly they have a slightly textured surface. I wanted to use them to try out photographing the way that light falls onto a perfectly curved surface, like this photo of Uranus



but I still may be able to do that or at least use them for a few of my other ideas. My main idea for the balls is to line them up with a digital projection of animated circles.



I think its quite a simple idea but I could project lots of different things onto them.
I'm wondering about whether I should keep the balls all at roughly the same height, in keeping with physical laws!



I don't know how to string them up, I want to use fishing wire but I don't know how I can attach it. Possibly with needles. I need to book out a *properly* dark space and a projector. I really wish I could just get a digital projector for christmas.
I'm getting excited about orbits at the moment but I'm not sure about using motors in my work.
(I've realised how circles are becoming a recurring theme in my work! I had a petri dish project two years ago and for my dreams project in foundation I nearly made a spinning nightlight)

I'm doing another idea which I got from watching the Horizon programme about asteroids. I saw an image of an ice asteroid which on the tv screen was all darkness with the little glowing shape. I want to print out the black and white image onto acetate and have it backlit in a deep frame. I'm thinking it could need two layers to make the black dark enough. Or maybe I should do it by hand with ink? Here it is, had to hunt for it on iplayer



I think backlighting is a good idea for this project. I went to the Astronomy Photography of the Year exhibition at the Royal Observatory yesterday and all their images were on screens. I think having them printed out just wouldn't do them justice. That's why all my ideas involve light, because I couldn't communicate the beauty of space without it.



While I was there I hung around to see some fireworks from the top of the hill. The view there is incredible. I've never been there at night before so I didn't realise about the time zone laser!


It was so cool.. and glitters a little bit as it catches dust in the air.. I would love to use lasers in my work.
A list of possible mediums!
Spheres
Lasers
Mirrors
Light
Glass
Aerogel

nothing too ambitious there then.

Elective

Wimbledon College has a surprise coming its way on Tuesday. Possibly a few surprises. I'm hoping our tutor doesn't get into too much trouble... I'll say no more!

Work experience
After I didn't get the Horizon placement I have sent my CV and a covering paragraph to a film editor that I know who is helping me out. I'm really hoping for something to do with editing because I suspect that I will absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment