Thursday 12 August 2010

I can't stop using doodlekids

Last night I found myself up at 2am obsessively making pictures using a combination of photoshop, pokemon and doodlekids. my wrists were hurting from using the keyboard and I was falling asleep. Why? I think I have an addiction to doodlekids.
Doodlekids is an app on the iphone which paints a different shape with every touch. if you hold your finger down and paint you get scattered lines of the same shape, in different colours. It's just a perfect combination of pretty and unpredictable to keep you experimenting. Here are some of my early doodles.




Then I discovered that you can doodle over photos. So this opened up a world of possibilities. First I had a go at using the stills from a Stan Brackhage animation that I had already saved for backgrounds etc.



Then I had a go at combining it with screenshots of other apps, my favourites are from combining it with 'ps mobile' 'planets' app and with 'ibeams lite'.







After that I started trying out putting the images into photoshop at different stages and combining them with underwater screenshots from my pokemon sapphire game on the VBA. Here is a progression of a few things I tried with this image.





And here I used one of the earlier photos, cutting lots of holes in the layers to let the shapes show through



Finally here's my favourite, combining the opening of pokemon sapphire, a photo of me at a festival and of course doodlekids. I call it 'step into laptopland'!

No comments:

Post a Comment